The World Health Organisation (WHO) has put a detailed fact sheet on the Zika virus on their website with key information on the infectious disease that is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. The fact sheet is available in English and WHO’s five other official languages.
Some key facts on the Zika Viras
- Zika virus disease is caused by a virus transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes.
- People with Zika virus disease usually have a mild fever, skin rash (exanthema) and conjunctivitis. These symptoms normally last for 2-7 days.
- There is no specific treatment or vaccine currently available.
- The best form of prevention is protection against mosquito bites.
- The virus is known to circulate in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific.
The fact sheet gives a detailed explanation on the signs and symptoms, the transmission, diagnosis, prevention and the treatment.READ MORE