Three (3) international members of the board of directors will be elected — replacing departing members of the current board. These positions will be filled through an online election process by secure electronic voting.
The newly elected International Board Members will be announced 5 June 2019 and will officially take up their new roles on 3 July 2019 at the end of the 11th World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ2019) in Lausanne in July 2019.
2019 Important Dates
Call for application
Deadline for applications
26 April – 3 May
Applicants screening and interviews
List of selected candidates posted on WFSJ’s website
8 – 27 May
Candidates available to answer questions from voting delegates
27 May – 3 June
Winners become board members
Three (3) international board positions will be vacated in July 2019 at the end of the World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ) 2019 to be held in Lausanne, Switzerland. These positions will be filled through an election process by secure electronic voting.
- Applicants must be ACTIVE science journalists.
- Applicants will be judged on three main criteria:
To apply, candidates should send an email to the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with all required documents as listed below. Please insert “APPLICATION 2019” in the subject field of the email. All documents must be in English, or accompanied by an English translation.
- A Curriculum Vitae and a photo.
- A letter of motivation of no more than 500 words as to how candidates have met the above criteria, their vision for the WFSJ, and what skills they would bring to the WFSJ Executive Board.
- Two (2) letters of references which should address the nomination criteria. Candidates who provide one of their references from a country outside of their own will be looked upon favourably by the Nomination Committee. Applicants who do not have a reference from a board member of their national association should be able to demonstrate in some other way their contribution to the work of their national association or to science journalism in their country.
- Proof of membership: a scan of their membership card or an official letter from his/her association’s Board or president, to prove that they are a member of a WFSJ’s association member.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants should make themselves available for a Skype or telephone interview by a member of the Nomination Committee. This would be sometime between 26 April and 3 May 2019.
The Nomination Committee will nominate up to 10 of the best applicants to stand for election to the Executive Board. The Nominating Committee will aim to provide a selection of candidates that reflects the membership of the WFSJ, a mix of skills and background and is balanced in terms of gender.
The nominated candidates will have their photos, letters and references posted on a special election page on our website on 8 May 2019. They should be available from this point to answer questions from voting representatives.
VOTING DELEGATES AND VOTING PROCEDURE
Each WFSJ member association in good standing will be asked to designate one voting delegate. The voting delegate can be the association’s president or his/her representative. The voting delegate cannot stand for election.
Secure electronic voting will take place be between 27 May and 3 June 2019. The designated voting delegates will receive instruction by email to cast the vote online.
Each voting delegates can vote for two (2) candidates and will be requested to vote for a mix of candidates that reflect a fair gender balance, the membership of the WFSJ and a mix of skills and background. Three (3) candidates with the highest numbers of votes will be elected to the board.
The results will be announced on 5 June 2019. A second voting round can be organized if needed.
The new board members will be expected to attend a joint board meeting at WCSJ2019, preferably in person, in Lausanne, Switzerland between 1-5 July 2019. They begin their new mandate, replacing departing board members at the end of the meeting of the Annual General Assembly at WCSJ 2019.
Should you have any question, please send an email to email@example.com with the word “QUESTION” in the subject field.