The World Federation of Science Journalists (WFSJ) is a not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation, representing 54 science journalists’ associations of science and technology journalists from Africa, the Americas, the Asia-Pacific, Europe and the Middle East. The Federation encourages strong, critical coverage of issues in science and technology, environment, health and medicine, agriculture and related fields.
The WFSJ seeks to further science journalism as a bridge between science, scientists and the public. It promotes the role of science journalists as key players in civil society and democracy. The Federation’s goals are to improve the quality of science reporting, promote standards and support science and technology journalists worldwide.
- The purpose of the WFSJ is to develop awareness of science journalism internationally by building the capacity of media professionals to undertake engaging, incisive, accurate, impartial, high quality science journalism.
- The WFSJ nurtures science journalists and science journalism through education, projects, conferences, and the creation of national associations. It is dedicated to fostering collegiality and professional networks to strengthen science journalism, and in turn, civil society.
- The WFSJ aims to safeguard the rights and livelihoods of science journalists globally, inclusive of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, and sexual preference.
- The WFSJ promotes and defends the free flow of information and open dialogue about scientific research and related issues – essential to good science journalism.
- The WFSJ provides a forum for its membership, and the wider public, to share advances, achievements, challenges, opportunities, and trends in science journalism internationally.
- The WFSJ promotes best practices in science journalism.
- The WFSJ selects and supports the host association for the World Conference of Science Journalists.
- The WFSJ undertakes training, mentoring, and education of science journalists globally through initiatives such as the World Conference of Science Journalists, mentoring schemes, twinning of associations, and other professional opportunities.
- The WFSJ supports science journalism associations, and encourages the foundation of new ones.
- WFSJ members are national, regional and international associations which represent science journalists, broadcasters, writers, editors and communicators working across all media platforms.
- To become a member of the WFSJ an association applies and is accepted in accordance with the WFSJ bylaws. Applications for membership will be reviewed and decided upon by the WFSJ Board.
Go to the How to join the WFSJ page here.
The WFSJ is since 2013 an officially registered Canadian charitable organization with registration number: 831911748RR0001. Consult our charity page on the Canadian Revenue Agency’s website here.
Where your donations go
The vital donations made to the WFSJ make it possible to train journalists in crisis situations, buy equipment, and support journalists cover stories in which science plays an important role.
Our presentation brochure can be downloaded here.
Copyright Photos: UNPhoto/MartinePerret – Hirondelle USA – SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory – Creative Commons