Three (3) international members of the board of directors will be elected — replacing departing members of the current board. These positions will be filled through an online election process by secure electronic voting.
The newly elected International Board Members will be announced 5 June 2019 and will officially take up their new roles on 3 July 2019 at the end of the 11th World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ2019) in Lausanne in July 2019.
2019 IMPORTANT DATES
— 26 March: Call for application
— 25 April: Deadline for applications
— 26 April – 3 May: Applicants screening and interviews
— 8 May: List of selected candidates posted on WFSJ’s website
— 8 – 27 May: Candidates available to answer questions from voting delegates
— 27 May – 3 June: Electronic vote
— 5 June: Winners announced
— 3 July: Winners become board members
2019 ELECTION PROCESS
Three (3) international board positions will be vacated in July 2019 at the end of the World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ) 2019 to be held in Lausanne, Switzerland. These positions will be filled through an election process by secure electronic voting.ELIGIBILITY AND CRITERIA
Any member of a good standing member association of the Federation is eligible to apply for a position on the board. Applicants must be able to prove their membership of an association (see How to apply section for more information).
- Applicants must be ACTIVE science journalists.
- Applicants will be judged on three main criteria:
- Their involvement in WFSJ activities such as its conferences and training activities.
- Their ability to participate fully and effectively at our board meetings. This includes demonstrating that they will be able to make time available to be present at face-to-face meetings as well as virtual meetings and to communicate effectively and work cohesively with fellow board members.
- Their contribution to science journalism and involvement with their own association.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, candidates should send an email to the Executive Director at email@example.com with all required documents as listed below. Please insert “APPLICATION 2019” in the subject field of the email. All documents must be in English, or accompanied by an English translation.
- A Curriculum Vitae and a photo.
- A letter of motivation of no more than 500 words as to how candidates have met the above criteria, their vision for the WFSJ, and what skills they would bring to the WFSJ Executive Board.
- Two (2) letters of references which should address the nomination criteria. Candidates who provide one of their references from a country outside of their own will be looked upon favourably by the Nomination Committee. Applicants who do not have a reference from a board member of their national association should be able to demonstrate in some other way their contribution to the work of their national association or to science journalism in their country.
- Proof of membership: a scan of their membership card or an official letter from his/her association’s Board or president, to prove that they are a member of a WFSJ’s association member.
The deadline for applications is 25 April 2019 23:59 Eastern Standard Time.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Applicants should make themselves available for a Skype or telephone interview by a member of the Nomination Committee. This would be sometime between 26 April and 3 May 2019.
The Nomination Committee will nominate up to 10 of the best applicants to stand for election to the Executive Board. The Nominating Committee will aim to provide a selection of candidates that reflects the membership of the WFSJ, a mix of skills and background and is balanced in terms of gender.
The nominated candidates will have their photos, letters and references posted on a special election page on our website on 8 May 2019. They should be available from this point to answer questions from voting representatives.
VOTING DELEGATES AND VOTING PROCEDURE
Each WFSJ member association in good standing will be asked to designate one voting delegate. The voting delegate can be the association’s president or his/her representative. The voting delegate cannot stand for election.
Secure electronic voting will take place be between 27 May and 3 June 2019. The designated voting delegates will receive instruction by email to cast the vote online.
Each voting delegates can vote for two (2) candidates and will be requested to vote for a mix of candidates that reflect a fair gender balance, the membership of the WFSJ and a mix of skills and background. Three (3) candidates with the highest numbers of votes will be elected to the board.
The results will be announced on 5 June 2019. A second voting round can be organized if needed.
The new board members will be expected to attend a joint board meeting at WCSJ2019, preferably in person, in Lausanne, Switzerland between 1-5 July 2019. They begin their new mandate, replacing departing board members at the end of the meeting of the Annual General Assembly at WCSJ 2019.
Should you have any question, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word “QUESTION” in the subject field.