The World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ) is one of the main activities of the World Federation of Science Journalists. It is the biggest global events on science journalism and is a gathering of approximately 1,200+ journalists covering science and medical issues, as well as international experts, scientists, communicators, etc.
The WCSJ consists of a wide variety of programs that aim to expand the horizons of participants from different backgrounds through lively discussions and workshops.
All Member Associations can bid to organize a World Conference. Though it is extremely challenging to host the World Conference of Science Journalists, it is also extremely rewarding and a unique opportunity for a local association to raise its profile, recruit members, energize its directors and members.
BIDDING FOR WCSJ2019
If you are thinking about bidding for the right to host the 11th World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ2019) please take into account the following key dates in the bidding process:
- Candidates submit a letter of intent in writing and a bid outline by Friday, February 24, 2017.
- WFSJ provides feedback and recommendations to potential bidders by Friday, March 31, 2017.
- Candidates submit final bids to the WFSJ by email and 7 hard copies by ordinary mail by Friday, July 28, 2017.
- Special bidding presentation organized on Thursday, October 26, 2017, at WCSJ2017 in the presence of the WFSJ Board and the conference delegates.
- The WFSJ Board announces during WCSJ2017 the successful bid to host the 11th World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ2019).
Do not hesitate to contact the WFSJ if you have any further questions regarding the bidding process.
CONFERENCE MANUAL & MOU EXAMPLE
The WCSJ Manual to organize a conference can be found here.
The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between our U.S. partners organizing WCSJ2017 and the WFSJ can be found here. Its content serves as an example. An MOU is the result of a discussion between the organization that will host the World Conference of Science Journalists and the WFSJ.
Reports and budgets from previous conferences:
Examples of bids for previous conferences:
- See two bid documents for WCSJ2017 here.
- See three bid documents for the WCSJ2015 here.
- See three bid documents for the WCSJ2013 here.
Examples of printed materials from previous conferences: